Calcium is essential for building and maintaining bone, and for preventing osteoporosis later in life. Calcium is also required for healthy heart function, muscles, blood and nerves.
Most adults need 2-3 serves of calcium rich foods daily (4 serves for women over 51 years). The best way to meet these requirements is to eat a diet rich in calcium.
Tips for increasing calcium intake:
- A cup of milk on breakfast cereal
- If soy milk is preferred, select the calcium fortified varieties
- Make a fruit smoothie
- Snack on a tub of yoghurt
- Add a slice of cheese to a lean meat and salad sandwich
- Try canned salmon or sardines
- Choose tofu with calcium and add to salads or stirfry
- Add chick peas to soups, salads and casseroles
- Snack on a handful of almonds
Visit Eat For Health for more information.